Professional 600 Series Bowl: KitchenAid is known as one of the top kitchen appliance makers. It has also manufactured quality Stand Mixers for years and is now the premier stand mixer brand.
Currently, KitchenAid boasts several mixer models that come in various colors with specifications unique to the buyer’s needs and preferences. One of KitchenAid’s models is the KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6‑Quart Stand Mixer, a semi-professional quality mixer for home use with mainly good customer reviews.
Read our article to find out if these reviews are reliable, and KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6‑Quart Stand Mixer is one of the best machines in its category.
Table of Contents
Mixing Bowl Capacity
The KitchenAid Professional Series Stand Mixer comes with a 6 quart/24 cups Mixing Bowl. It is made from polished stainless steel outside and a coarse inside with a few metal residues coming off when it is new. So you must wash them thoroughly before using them; otherwise, all these residues will go straight into your food. The mixing bowl also features a contoured handle for a comfortable and safe grip. The factory needs an acid wash to get rid of all residues.
This 6‑quart mixing bowl is a semi-professional capacity that may handle large (up to 14 cups of dry flour) and small food amounts (from 3 cups of flour). However, it will not mix small batches of food very well without extra help from the user, so it will require manually scraping the sides with a spatula. It also cannot mix the first portion of small batch ingredients well; however, when you add more ingredients, the mixing process gets better. But, the KitchenAid sells an additional scrape/flexible “wiper” attachment ($49.95) that will scrap the sides.
The mixing bowl is attached to the base unit with a well-designed locking mechanism that keeps the bowl stable during operation without creating any mess.
Some customers complain that mixing attachments are fixed very high above the bowl bottom, so does not allow for processing smaller food batches. Fortunately, the stand mixer can adjust the bowl height with a screw on the base unit wall just before the mixing bowl. When the mixing bowl is adjusted correctly, it can handle at least 3 cups of flour.
The KitchenAid also offers a glass bowl to buy separately for an extra price.
KitchenAid 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series Stand Mixer comes with the bowl-lift head design, the typical construction for large-capacity stand mixers. The bowl-lift head design uses a set of side pins to fix the mixing bowl in place, and a crank lever lifts the bowl into position to meet the mixer attachments for operation and down when you finish processing and need to remove it.
Motor Head Power and Base Unit
The metal base unit houses 575 watts, 110–120 volts, and a 5 amp direct drive transmission motor, which grants the user plenty of power and smooth torque transmission. Moreover, the motor’s all-metal gears and gear housing make it durable and less likely to strip (while it makes the stand mixer a bit noisy). Finally, the base unit has good quality paint, so it does not leave any kinds of marks on it and is protected from acidic mixtures.
In addition, the motor is equipped with an auto shut-off system to prevent Mixer overheating and overload, thus extending its life expectancy.
KitchenAid’s Professional 600 series control panel has ten speed and OFF/0 positions regulated with a speed lever. For example, speed # 1 is indicated as STIR speed, and others are marked from 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 with unmarked steps; however, you can adjust the speed lever to half-speed increments. Such selection of speed expands the stand mixer functionality so that you can use different speeds for different tasks:
- Speed 1 (STIR) is designed for slow mixing, mashing, and stirring; you can add ingredients while processing at this speed, for example adding butter to the cookies dough or adding flour to your mixtures;
- Speed 2 is also designed for slow mixing, mashing, and faster stirring. You will use speed two while kneading thick bread or pizza doughs, thick batters, and candies or as a starting speed for mixing veggies;
- Speed 4 is for combining sugar with egg whites for meringues or mixing semi-heavy cake or cookies batters;
- Speed 6 is a whipping speed, also used for mixing doughnuts or the final speed for mixing cake batter;
- Speed 8 is also intended for whipping cream, boiled frostings, and egg whites;
- Speed 10 is for whipping small batches of cream and egg whites, and the final speed is for whipping mashed potatoes;
Before operating the machine, the speed control lever should be set at the lowest speed and gradually moved to the desired higher speed to prevent ingredients from splashing out of the bowl. In addition, the control panel is equipped with an electronic speed sensor that provides a steady speed during operation and a slow start feature, which means each speed for the first 2 seconds starts slowly to prevent splatter of ingredients.
The KitchenAid Professional 600 series mixer comes with the following accessories:
- The burnished aluminum Spiral Dough Hook is designed for making thick yeast doughs, such as bread, pizza, rolls buns, and coffee cakes doughs;
- A burnished aluminum Flat Beater/Paddle is for using for mixing medium to heavy mixtures without much air in it, such as cakes or cookies batter, brownies, candies, meatloaf, pie pastry, cakes frosting, and mashed potatoes;
- Burnished stainless steel Wire Whip is designed for light mixtures that require to incorporate of air in it, such as heavy cream, egg whites, eggs sponge cakes, meringue, angel food cakes, boiled frostings, and mayonnaise;
- Clear Plastic Pouring Shield, which you can fix to the bowl when mixing whipping cream or adding flour to prevent ingredients from splashing over the bowl.
The KitchenAid 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series stand mixer with standard set included in original package attachments can perform a wide range of kneading and mixing tasks. Moreover, the KitchenAid Stand Mixer usually performs all duties quicker than other mixers available on the market. Thus the mixing time from non-KitchenAid recipes will not always be exact, and you will need to detect the desired consistency of the mixture visually. So, this machine is designed to perform the following tasks:
Kneading bread, pizza dough: For kneading any thick yeast dough, you should use the dough hook and speed 2. Any thick dough recipe for up to 14 cups of flour (or eight loaves of bread) could be done by this Mixer without much effort and dough-climbing issues.
Rolls buns and coffee cake doughs: Since they are made from thick yeast dough, they should also be kneaded with the dough hook and speed 2. However, when you notice that your dough has become a solid lumpy mass, you would use STIR speed for the last few seconds of kneading to bring it to a smooth and slightly tacky condition.
Cakes or cookies batter, brownies: For the cake, doughnuts, or other light batter types batter, you should use Flat Beater/Paddle and speed 6, speed 4 for the semi-heavy batter, and speed 2 for heavy or splashy batter type (you can increase speed to 4 after mixture became thicker).
Heavy cream, egg whites, meringue, frostings, mousse: For mixing creams, egg whites, and meringue, you should use a wire whip and speed 10 for small batches (1 egg or ¼ ‑1/2 cup or liquid ingredients) or speed 8 for larger batches of ingredients (2 and more eggs and more than ½ cup of liquids). You can also use speed 6 for the fast cream beating. Mixtures containing large amounts of liquid ingredients should be mixed at lower speeds to avoid splashing, and you can increase the speed only after the mixture has thickened.
The cream frosting should be done with a flat beater using STIR(1) speeds and increasing it gradually to 4; fluffy frosting should use a wire whip with 8–10 speeds. For making mousse, you would use a wire whip with speed 6.
Candies, pie pastry, cakes frosting: For pies and pastry dough, you would use flat beater attachments and STIR speed, speed 2 or 4 depending on the thickness of your mixture. You would use speed two and Flat Beater/Paddle attachments for candies batter. Heavy candies can overload the stand mixer, so you should make them carefully.
Eggs sponge cakes, and angel food cakes: For this recipe, you will use a wire whip starting with speed six and gradually increasing to speed 8.
Mashed potatoes: For making mashed potatoes, you may use a flat beater and wire whip if you want fluffy potatoes or just a flat beater for less fluffy ones; for the flat beater, you would start with speed two and increase it gradually to 6; for wire whip, you will use speeds 8 and 10.
Meatloaf: You can mix meatloaf using this stand mixer; for this purpose, you should use flat beater attachments and stir speed.
Assembling and Cleaning
Assembling and disassembling: KitchenAid KP26M1XCE 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series is straightforward to assemble and disassemble. To attach the bowl, lift the handle to the down position, anchor the mixing bowl onto two pins, and push down the bowl until the bowl pins shatter into the spring fastener. Now raise the mixing bowl using the handle and fix one of the needed attachments by sliding it over a shaft, turning the attachment to the right hooking it over the shaft pin. Now it is ready to use.
Now you can also fix the pouring shield. It prevents ingredients from splashing over the bowl and will help mix whipping cream or add flour. If you need to regulate the height of attachments (when it touches the bowl or for other reasons), you should adjust a screw on the neck of the KA right by the lip of your bowl.
Cleaning: KitchenAid KP26M1XCE 6 Qt Professional 600 Series machine does not have many parts; it is effortless to clean. However, the burnished flat beater/paddle, spiral dough hook, and wire whip must be hand cleaned only because if you try to wash them dishwasher, they will discolor and ruin. At the same time, the mixing bowl and plastic pouring shield are safe to wash in the dishwasher.
Replacement Parts and Extra Attachment
You can buy any replacement part via the KitchenAid website or other retailers’ including stainless steel or glass mixing bowl and all the attachments included in the original package.
Moreover, KitchenAid sells a wide variety of additional attachments for specialty tasks that massively expand the mixer functionality, which include:
- Food Grinder for grinding meat, firm veggies and fruits, and dry bread;
- Roto Slicer/Shredder with four cones (thin and thick slicer, fine and coarse shredder) for making jams, purees, sauces, and baby foods;
- Fruit/Vegetable Strainer;
- Sausage Stuffer Kit with 3⁄8″ and 5⁄8″ stuffing tubes for making Bratwurst, Kielbasa, Italian or Polish Sausage, and breakfast links;
- Grain Mill for grinding low-moisture grains from very fine to extra coarse textures;
- Pasta Roller Set for making lasagne noodles, fettuccini, and linguine fin (3‑piece set includes Roller, Fettuccine Cutter, and Linguine Fini Cutter);
- Citrus Juicer;
Colors: KitchenAid Professional 600 series stand mixer is available in White, Empire Red, Onyx Black, Caviar, Blue Steel, Licorice, Nickel Pearl, Pearl Metallic, Copper Pearl, Caviar Gloss, and Meringue. You can often save money by selecting the lowest-priced color.
Voltage System: The USA’s retailers offer only 110V- 120V and 60-hertz machines for the US, Canada, and Latin American markets. If you need to purchase a 220–240V model, you should look for local or European retailers. Though you may use a voltage converter, it only converts the voltage and not cycles, so the appliances will wear out quicker if you use a transformer. Moreover, the USA retailers do not provide a warranty for machines used over the voltage transformer.
Refurbished model: KitchenAid offers a certified refurbished machine for this model for about half the price compared to the original models.
Warranty and Customer Service
The Professional KitchenAid comes with a standard one-year hassle-free replacement warranty. So if your Mixer fails within one year, the company will deliver a new one free of charge to you, along with another one-year warranty.
Besides, KitchenAid’s customer service department has an excellent reputation. It is very friendly and efficient, so it tends to rectify most of the situations when it is concerned with cases of manufacturer errors, damages, and unsatisfactory performance.
KitchenAid Professional 600 Series Stand Mixer is a loud machine. It releases approximately 70–80 Dbs depending on the speed level. So, you can have a normal conversation in the room where this machine is working at a low speed while at a higher rate; it could be annoying.
This machine is pretty large, with a 7.25″ x 9″ footprint. However, when in use, this stand mixer requires much larger space; for example, you will need 15.5 inches by 13 inches of space footprint because the bowl handles and power cord and assembling the attachments also need some space.
With a 17″ profile, KitchenAid Professional 600 Series Stand Mixer will fit under a standard kitchen cabinet of 18 inches and will not go under smaller ones (15 inches).
The machine has a cord about 45 inches long.
- Base unit with 575-watt motor head;
- 6‑quart stainless-steel mixing bowl;
- Burnished flat beater;
- Kneading spiral dough hook;
- Wire whip;
- Pouring shield;
- Warranty card;
- User manual with recipes.
Pros and Cons
- KitchenAid Professional 600 Series Stand Mixer is equipped with a large 6 quarts/24 cups stainless steel bowl that allows processing up to 14 cups of flour;
- A great option of extra attachments significantly expands the functionality of this machine;
- The Mixer comes with ten speed that allows for processing a variety of recipes;
- The Soft Start feature prevents flour blows and makes the mixing process less messy;
- An automatic shut-off system prevents any significant Stand Mixer parts damage and extends the motor life expectancy;
- The motor and outer shell are made from stainless steel, which makes the machine solid and durable;
- This Stand Mixer is straightforward to clean, assemble/dissemble, and use;
- It is a Noisy machine;
- The Dough Hook, Paddles, and Wire Whip attachments are not dishwasher safe;
- The Stand Mixer comes with only a 1‑year warranty;
No doubt, the KitchenAid 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series Stand Mixer has pros and cons but is a modern machine among consumers. It has kept solid consumer ratings and great reviews for many years, confirming its outstanding performance, similar to commercials.
The price for this machine often varies from retailer to retailer; however, amazon offers one of the lowest prices and free shipping, especially in the middle of the week.
BUY NOW via Amazon
The KitchenAid Professional Series Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer is a borderline commercial mixer, and it is an excellent option for consumers who wants a durable and robust stand mixer. It comes with everything you need to start baking. This machine is very well built and has a powerful motor and mixing bowl capacity enough for double or triple batches. The KitchenAid Professional 600 Series Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer is a high-performance mixer that can easily handle even the heaviest ingredients. With 10-speed settings, a powerful motor, and a 6‑quart capacity bowl, this Mixer is designed for severe cooks who demand the best in terms of performance and results. The attachment set allows easy preparation of various recipes, from thick yeast bread and pizza dough to cake batter and whipped cream. In addition, it comes with a pouring shield, allowing users to keep the kitchen workspace cleaner and save time.