The Bamix is an original immersion blender that was invented and patented in 1950 and then manufactured in the same Switzerland factory. All other immersion blenders on the market just dupe the Bamix model. Nevertheless, it has remained the number one immersion blender for professional chefs for many years.
Here we review a very popular Bamix Gastro 200 model to examine all the pros and cons of this legendary machine and make it easier for you to decide if it is worth adding to your kitchen gadget collections.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn an affiliate commission for purchases you make when using the links on this page.
Read More: Blender vs Food Processor – Which One to Choose for Your Kitchen?
Table of Contents
The Bamix Gastro 200 blender comes with a single shaft and four (4) interchangeable blades that are designed to perform the following tasks.
Multi-Purpose Blade (C‑blade) – is designed for cutting, crushing, and chopping and used for 90% of all tasks; it can handle small (the liquid must cover the blade head only) and large batches of food (up to 1 gallon/5L of fluids, and soups, up to 2.65 quarts/3L of sauces)
- Cuts, chops, and purees raw or cooked vegetables, fruit, or berries;
- Make slushes and iced alcoholic drinks;
- Perfect for bullet-proof coffees;
- Blends smoothies;
- Blends soups, the metal guards of the shaft head protect the cookware from scratching;
- Chops and crushed cooked meat;
- Blends nut milk;
- Makes a variety of baby food recipes;
- Crushes ice cubes and frozen fruits and veggies even without liquid added and makes frozen treats such as ice cream or sorbets;
- Mixes cake and pancake batters;
- Perfect for mincing, puréeing, straining, and stirring any thick mixtures;
The Whisk blade (A ‑blade) is designed to stir and mix shakes, drinks, and purees and can handle up to 2.65 quarts /3 L of liquids, 1.8 quarts/2 L of salad dressing, and 0.45 quarts/0.5 L of maximum batches. This blade must be run only at speed 1.
- It is ideal for emulsifying liquids, sauces, creams, dressings, mayonnaise, or any oily ingredients;
- Perfect for whipping a thick or creamy consistency;
- Mashes potatoes;
- Mixes light doughs;
Beater/aerating blade (A — blade) – this blade could also be called a beating or aerating blade and is used for all recipes that need light and fluffy. The blender with B‑blade handles maximum batches of up to 1 gallon/5 L Liquid,1.8 quarts/2 L of sauce, 5 eggs whites, or 0.45 quarts/0.5 L of cream.
- Beats, aerates, blends egg-white and cream;
- It makes perfect meringue;
- Ideal for frappes, etc.;
- Whip even low fat (1%) and non-dairy milk like oat or nut milk, but the milk must be very cold just out of the freezer;
- The whipped cream recipes may even contain fresh lemon juice and stay solid without curdling;
The blender handle is made of soft shatterproof nylon, which is solid and durable and comfortable to hold. It is equipped with only two (2) speed buttons and is designed to operate with one hand.
However, the gadget’s key features are 200 watts, 120V 60Hz AC motor, and US-plug and have an effective power of about 1HP. Despite having only 200 watts, it endures a very powerful torque. So the blender will retain a constant even when blending ice or other thick mixtures. It has all copper wiring and all-metal drive connections. It is balanced to reduce vibration and ensure quiet operation.
The motor’s high quality is not surprising as it is assembled in several stages in the Bamix factory located in Mettlen, Switzerland. Due to going through a precise balancing procedure, the blender does not vibrate during operation and thus does not heat the hand while working at high speed. Finally, all Bamix blenders undergo a final 10-minute continuous run quality test, and only after the human test decides if it meets the standard.
Besides, the Bamix motor is designed for up to 5 minutes of continuous use, which is unlike any other immersion blender on the market. At the same time, most immersion blenders can run up to 1 min of continuous operation.
Design and Shaft
The Bamix is the original immersion blender and thus has a unique design. Unlike any other hand blenders on the market, which have removable shafts and attachments (such as whisk shaft, multifunctional blade shaft, or mashing shaft), it also comes with irremovable shaft-body construction and is interchangeable blades. The blades are designed to connect to the end of the post and are intended for different tasks.
The Gastro 200 has a nylon body and chrome-plated brass shaft; the body nylon is heat resistant and seals the internal parts so its 1.8 inches/4.5cm part can be submerged into liquid safely. Also, the nylon arear that is designed to immerse is made of food-safe material that will not leach any harmful chemicals into your blending.
The Gastro 200 blender comes with two (2) speed buttons where the speed (1) runs at 12000 pm and is designed for all light, airy dishes, and small food batches, while speed two (2) runs at 17000 RPM and is intended for all viscous, firm ingredients and large food batches. There is no other immersion blender on the market with a high speed of 17000 RPMs, even those that come with a much more powerful motor of 800 Watts.
Attachments and Accessories
Shaft and blades: The Gastro 200 feature an irremovable shaft and a set of interchangeable blades. The 9.8 inches/25 cm shaft is made from chrome coated brass with 1.8 inches/4.5 cm of the motor base that is safe to submerge in the liquids, extends the blender’s immersion section, and allows the blender to be used in very deep containers. No “leaded brass” material is used in blender construction; all wiring is made from copper, thus no lead leaching into the food.
The set of blades includes — Multi-Purpose Blade (chops), whisk (blends), and beater (aerates). All blades are made from 18/10 stainless steel and blunt by design (s‑blades are slightly sharpened). Thus, they are very safe to handle. In addition, the blades are very high-quality workmanship and fit precisely into the shaft.
Wall holder — the wall holder is designed to store the blender and blades neatly; it could also be screwed to a wall.
Extra Attachments and Accessories
There is a range of optional accessories available to buy for this blender:
- Grinder — 1 cup grinder for wet and dry ingredients.
- Processor – 1 cup capacity mincer and grinder for wet and dry ingredients.
- SliceSy – 3 cups mini food processor that handles wet and dry food.
- Slicing blade (S‑blade) – this blade does precisely the same job as the multipurpose blade (C‑blade) but is able to cuts, chop, and minces cooked or uncooked meat and fish, and firm vegetables. It is also perfect for baby food containing meat, fish, or raw vegetables. It can handle a maximum of up to 1.1. lbs/500 g of meat or veggies per batch.
- Set of 1.7 cups/400ml and 2.5 cups/600ml beakers.
Assembling, Dissembling, Using, and Cleaning
Assembling/disassembling: The Bamix Gastro 200 is very easy to assemble and disassemble. Since all blades are blunt (with only S‑blade slightly sharpened), it is safe to handle them. Each Gastro blade is connected to the shaft by simply snatching its hollow rid side over the drive shaft stub; the hollow rod has a slight recess while the stub has a tiny pin; when the pin engages into the pit, the connection is made secure.
Just pull it from the stub and slightly turn to the side to disengage the pin’s recess to remove the blade.
Cleaning: No Bamix Gastro parts are dishwasher safe. However, it is so easy to clean the user does not even require cleaning in the dishwasher. The user requires to submerge the shaft with the blade into the jug with clean water, run the blender for a few seconds, then rinse it under the running water and remove the blade. It is also possible to wash blades, removing them first. Since the Bamix shaft and body are oil and smell repellent, it does not even require soap to clean the blender.
The Gastro 200 blender is very quiet and releases only 50–60dB noise depending on the processing ingredients.
The Bamix Gastro 200 comes with a Lifetime Motor Guarantee and a 1 Year Warranty on Parts and Accessories starting from the date of purchase. However, this gadget is very durable and will easily last for over 15–20 years.
The Gastro 200 has a moderate size of 15.5″/39.5cm x 2.5″/65cm x 3.3″/77cm, considering an immersion depth of 10.6″/27cm. With a weight of only 2.2lbs /1 kg, it is the lightest professional blender on the market.
Country of Production
The Bamix Gastro 200 Blender’s all parts are manufactured and assembled in Mettlen, Switzerland. Moreover, a human quality check is carried out for every blender before being released from the factory.
- Motor base and shaft;
- Multi-Purpose Blade (C‑blade);
- Whisk (B‑blade);
- Beater (A‑blade);
- Wall holder;
- User manual;
- Recipe Book.
Pros and Cons
- High torque motor with low wattage safe energy;
- All-metal drive connection that ensures exceptional durability of the blender;
- Copper wiring and chrome-plated shaft do not allow any chemicals and lead to leaching into the food;
- Long wand and 1.8 inches of body unit safe for liquid submerging than make easy operating blender and extend the shaft length;
- The very small size of attachments (only blades) that do not occupy much storage space;
- Lightest immersion professional blender on the market;
- Ergonomic handle;
- The 1.8 inches of the motor body is safe to be exposed to the liquids;
- Very high speed of operation;
- The blender is repairable;
- An extended warranty on the motor;
- All material is environmentally friendly and safe to contact with the food;
- The shaft and blades are smell and oil repellent that making them easy to clean;
- 100% manufactured in Switzerland;
- The post is not removable.
The Bamix Gastro 200 blender is a premium gadget with a high price tag.
The Bamix Gastro 200 is a truly versatile and unique immersion blender. It is not only a recognized kitchen tool by most professional chefs but genuinely can do its job to the level no other immersion blender on the market can do. In addition, it is very durable, easy to use, clean, and takes little storage space as it does not include any bulky attachments but only interchangeable blades.
Besides, it is energy-saving (200 Watts motor produces up to 17000 RPMs speed) and an environmentally friendly gadget built with 100% food-safe material.
Check out the 8 Best Immersion Blenders for all Budgets for more alternatives.