Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System with Auto iQ is an amazon exclusive upgrade for Nutri Ninja Bl492 and Bl494 Blender models. The blender was released in 2021. It comes with the standard for most Ninja countertop blenders large blending container, a food processor bowl with chopping and kneading function, and a well-known Ninja personal blender attachment.
In the review below, you will learn about all these popular gadgets’ strong and weak sides.
Alternatively, check our articles:
- Best Blender for Smoothies and More – Buying Guide 2022
- Best Blender under $200 – Is There Really Cheaper Alternative to Vitamix?
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn an affiliate commission for purchases you make when using the links on this page.
Table of Contents
- 1 Functionality and Versatility
- 2 Base Unit and Motor Power
- 3 Speed Settings and Programs
- 4 Containers
- 5 Blades
- 6 Ease of Using and Cleaning
- 7 Special Features
- 8 Noise
- 9 Warranty and Customer Service
- 10 Optional Accessories and Attachments
- 11 Set Includes
- 12 Dimensions
- 13 Pros and Cons
- 14 Consumer Reviews
- 15 Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System Price
- 16 Summary
Functionality and Versatility
Smoothie: The Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System single-serve attachment makes relatively smooth drinks, including green smoothies with hard and leafy ingredients. The blender homogenizes well nuts and chia seeds in drinks but is unable to blend berries properly, leaving often unprocessed strawberry and blueberry seeds residues.
The 72 oz jar is not able to make smooth smoothies leaving a few chunks of drinks and unprocessed food on the wall of the container.
The 40 oz bowl (used with tower food processor style blades) produces rather grainy drinks no matter what function is used and how many cycles are run. However, the 40 oz bowl is good at food processing jobs.
Juice: The Ninja Compact Kitchen System does not include any juicing attachment and is thus unable to make textbook juice that separates the fiber from the liquid. But the single-serve attachment with enough liquid added is quite capable of processing fairly smooth smoothies, aka “whole juice.”
Frozen ingredients/desserts: Both the single-serve attachment and 40 oz. Bowl crushes ice cubes and frozen ingredients into a snow-like consistency without any liquid added. Thus, they both can produce ice cream, frozen yogurts, and other frozen desserts. The frozen ingredients with liquids added in smoothies and other alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks are no wonder.
Pureeing: The 40 oz container is designed to puree raw and cooked fruit and veggies well. It can easily make hummus, pesto, mash potato, or baby food. The only problem is that it does not have any tamper and may require stopping the blender for manual mixing and creating a proper vortex.
The single-serve attachment is not very suitable for pureeing tasks.
Soup/ hot ingredients: The instructions clearly state that the Ninja Compact Kitchen System is not designed for processing hot liquids. So it is not suitable for blending hot ingredients for soups without prior cooling or making bulletproof coffee.
Chopping/food prep: The 40 oz. bowl s perfectly capable of chopping veggies for salsa, salad mixes, and marinades. In addition, the blender is able to shred cheese, grated crumbs, and chop nuts.
Nut milk: The single-serve attachment is able to make decent nut milk, but for the best quality, you may require to use a milk bag to strain the processed liquid.
Nut butter: Processing nuts into nut butter is challenging for even more powerful blenders than the Ninja Compact Kitchen System. Besides, this task usually requires using a tamper to remove air pockets and push ingredients for a better vortex. Unfortunately, this machine does not come with a tamper. Thus, the blender is not able to make decent nut butter.
Dough/batter: The blender comes with the dough hook to use with the 40 oz. container and are quite good at kneading dough, pie crust, and muffin batter.
Grinding/milling: The blender is able to grind some flaxes or chia seeds and soft grains like oat. But not capable of producing baking quality flour from tough grains. Single-serve container grinds slightly better than 40 oz. container.
Overall, the Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System is a fairly versatile device. The single-serve cups make decent smoothies and are able to process even ingredients well. The 40 oz Bowl with tower food processor-type blades adds functionality to the blender and is good at light food processing tasks and kneading the dough. While the 72 ounces container is designed to process a larger amount of food for smoothies, it is not as good at this task as a single ‘serve attachment.
Base Unit and Motor Power
Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System’s motor base is made of plastic and comes with a powerful 1200 watts motor enough to perform light to heavy duties. In addition, it has suction cups that make this gadget stable on a counter during the operation.
The blender is also equipped with a safety system that prevents damage to the motor and drive system. So if it is overloaded, the automatic shut-off will stop the motor.
However, the gadget has a weak feature. The plastic-made motor with blade coupling, including the socket and gear, makes this machine not very durable.
Speed Settings and Programs
Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System control panel equipped with digital count-up and count-down LCD display and five (5) buttons – START/STOP, PULSE, SMOOTHIE, FROZEN, and DOUGH/MIX. So it has one speed, three (3) pre-set programs, and a Pulse function. The base unit is able to identify which container is installed on the motor base, and the functions for a particular container will illuminate once the container is installed.
START/STOP is pressed to turn your unit on or off, run the blender continuous speed cycle, or it could be used to stop any program before the set cycle time.
So apart from the three (3) pre-set programs, this blender is designed to run with one single speed; by pressing the START/STOP button, the one-speed 60 seconds cycle will initiate; you can stop at any time during the cycle or repeat it after it ends.
PULSE function runs a burst of power. It is activated by holding it down and stopped when you release it, short presses for short pulses and long presses for long pulses. This function is very useful for breaking the ice or chopping vegetables.
SMOOTHIE, FROZEN, and DOUGH/MIX AUTO-IQ pre-set programs initiate blending cycles with periodic speed changes, pauses, and automatic shut-off. If you want to stop blending before the end of the cycle, you have to press the currently active button again or the START/STOP button.
SMOOTHIE is a 60 seconds cycle and can be used for soft ingredients, smoothies, shakes, protein drinks, and frozen cocktails or for blending hard, leafy, or fibrous ingredients like kale or celery.
MIX/DOUGH button initiates 30 seconds low-speed cycle. This function is useful for processing thick mixtures, kneading the dough, or for food prep jobs like salsa, chopping veggies, nuts, cheese, or meat.
FROZEN DRINK is 75 seconds pre-set program. It handles all types of frozen recipes well, including those with a lot of ice. It can mix frozen cocktails, make slashes, and crush ice.
So, the SMOOTHIE, FROZEN, and DOUGH/MIX pre-set programs are very convenient for those users who want to press a button and come back for perfectly blended drinks without the need to monitor the process.
Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System comes with a 72 ounces Total Crushing Pitcher, 40 ounces Precision Processor Bowl, and 18 ounces ingle Serve Blender attachment. The blender is equipped with the electronics that can identify the container you set on the base unit, so the control panel will illuminate the available function for the particular jar.
- The 72 oz (with 64 oz maximum line for liquids) Total Crushing Pitcher is a blending container made from quality polycarbonate and is intended to process a large portion of drinks such as making smoothies, cocktails, protein shakes, and others. It is paired with the pitcher’s lid with a pour spout cap that you can use not only for pouring ready drinks but also for adding extra ingredients during processing;
- 40 oz (5 cups) polycarbonate Precision Processor Bowl with a securely locked lid that could be used as a chopper, dough mixer (makes up to 2 lb. of dough), or even for processing smoothies;
- The 18 oz. single serve high-quality Tritan co-polyester cup and attach spout lid to take your blending on the go;
The device is also equipped with an additional safety feature, so if the container or lid is not appropriately set, the timer will show “… …” and the motor will not start.
The Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System comes with 3 blades assembly and a dough hook:
- The Stacked Blade Assembly for 72 oz jar has a food processor design with 6 stainless steel sharp blades staggered around the plastic tower. The blades could only be used with 72 ounces blending container.
- Chopping Blade Assembly for Precision Processor Bowl has a similar design as blending blades but is smaller in size. This blade is used only with the Processor bowl;
- The dough hook is made of plastic and fits into a 40 oz Precision Processor Bowl only for mixing dough and batters;
- Pro Extractor Blade assembly is designed to be used with single-serve cups. It has a standard design with 4‑prongs stainless steel blades attached to the plastic assembly.
Ease of Using and Cleaning
Assembling/disassembling/operation: The 72 oz Blending container and 40 ounces Processor Bowl come with the tower-like sharp blade assembly, container lid, and container-motor base locking system, so it takes some skill to assemble/disassemble. The user has to:
- Place the container on the base unit, align the tab on the container to the tab on that motor base, and turn clockwise until the click;
- Position the tower type blades inside of the container;
- Fill the jar with ingredients that are not the easiest task because the tower blade does not allow freely placed ingredients;
- Lock the lid the right way by pushing down the lever and sealing it;
- The Ninja control panel will identify which container is connected to the motor base by illuminating appropriate lights.
The securely locked lid is quite inconvenient during use because it does not allow adding large size extra ingredients or mixing food when needed without stopping a blender and opening the lid.
Assembling/disassembling the single-serve cup is a simpler task and just requires:
- Add ingredients to the cup or container;
- Screw the Pro Extractor blade assembly tightly;
- Turn the cup upside down and place it onto the motor base aligning the tabs on the cup with the motor base;
- Rotate clockwise until you hear a click;
- Once the cup is locked, the programs available for the attachment will illuminate;
- Once you finish blending, remove the blade system and screw instead of the Sip & Seal lid, and it is ready to take out.
Cleaning: The Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System is not difficult to clean. The 72 oz., 40 oz. containers, all Tritan single-serve cups, and blade assemblies are top-rack dishwasher safe.
However, after blending thick or stubborn ingredients, you better apply a self-cleaning procedure – add a few drops of soap halfway of water in a container and run for 60 seconds, then rinse and dry.
Colors: The Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System is available only in one color, black and silver.
Certified Refurbished: There are no certified refurbished blenders currently available for these models.
Use in countries outside of the USA/Canada: The Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System comes with a 110–120 voltage system for use only in the USA/Canada and other regions with appropriate voltage systems. The blender could be used over the voltage transformer. However, these models’ 220–240 voltage versions are available in many European countries and the UK. Whilst still unavailable in Australia.
The Ninja Compact Kitchen System is not the nosiest Ninja machine; however, the user has to be really mindful of neighbors and home dwellers when using this blender early in the morning. It outputs about 95 decibels when blending iced ingredients.
The classical advice for noise reduction is when using the blender to place a rubber mat under the base unit.
Warranty and Customer Service
The Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System comes with only a 1‑year limited warranty. The limited means that customers will be charged an extra payment for repair and replacement shipping. Some replacement parts can also require paying extra.
The Ninja blenders are known to be not very durable with an average quality customer support.
Optional Accessories and Attachments
All the replacement parts and optional accessories and attachments are available to buy for the Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System via the manufacturer or other online retailers:
- The large 72 oz. container with 64 oz. max liquid capacity and blade assembly;
- 12 oz., 18 oz., and 24 Tritan copolyester single-serve cups;
- 7 FINS Extractor Blades Replacement Part.
- 72 ounces Blending Container (64 oz. max liquid capacity) with Lid;
- 40 ounces Precision Processor Bowl with Lid;
- Blending Blade Assembly;
- Dough Blade Assembly;
- Chopping Blade Assembly;
- Personal Blender Blades Assembly;
- 18 oz. Single Serve Cup and Spout Lid;
- 15-Recipe Inspiration Guide;
- User Manual.
The Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System has quite a large 7.50 inches X 8.25 inches footprint and will occupy some space on your counter. Nevertheless, the blender will fit under most of the kitchen cabinets and measure 17.25 inches with the tallest 72 ounces pitcher on the top of the base unit. It is not a very heavy machine and weighs only 8.10 pounds with the largest container.
However, multiple attachments that are not really stacking into each other will require considerable space in your kitchen for storage.
Pros and Cons
- The Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen crushes ice into the snow like consistency without liquid added;
- It comes with a few safety features;
- The machine is fairly versatile with the singles serve attachment and food processor accessories;
- The blender is reasonably priced and has inexpensive replacement parts;
- Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen does not handle hot liquids;
- Although it comes with a food processing bowl, it can only chop and will not slice or shred food;
- Multiple attachments need a lot of place for storage;
- The 72 ounces pitcher does not produce average-quality smoothies.
Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen is very popular with consumers. This machine has a single-serve attachment for blending drinks and a large bowl for chopping and light food processing tasks. No wonder all Ninja single-serve blenders are fairly well-made and process quality drinks, while the countertop Ninja blenders with tower-type blades are better at ice crushing and food processing tasks and not so good at blending smoothies.
Besides, unlike others, this blender comes with premium quality Tritan co-polyester cups, so it has fewer complaints and better reviews.
Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System Price
The price for the Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen System varies with different retailers. Nevertheless, it is a reasonable price for such a functional device.
The Ninja AMZ493BRN Compact Kitchen is a good blender option for those who are keen on the Ninja brand. The blender comes with a nice single-serve attachment that makes good quality drinks and 40 oz bowls for light to moderate food processing tasks. The major strength of this gadget is the ability to process ice up to a snow-like consistency. But it also has some of the common Ninja weaknesses — the plastic gear and relatively moderate life expectancy. Compared to other Ninja models, this particular machine’s upgrade is the good quality single-serve containers.
However, if you are not sure about this blender, you can alternatively check our articles.
- Best Blender for Smoothies and More – Buying Guide 2022
- Best Blender under $200 – Is There Cheaper Alternative to Vitamix?